Monday, March 12, 2007

GIVE ME A VILLAGE THE SIZE OF A TEACUP



Luke Temple

Someone, Somewhere

This song is a caravan song. Remember? We were there and I'd just made us pizza - this song is the shy-shrug as a piece fell from your fork. After we finished, and before we settled down with a blanket to watch an old comedy on TV, we were washing up - this song is the mischievous grin on your face as you lifted your hand and pressed it against my cheek, soft and warm, leaving a trail of soapy-suds in its wake. This song giggles and charms, holds the door and peeks its head round, just before saying its farewells: "Enjoy your week kids. Hope the film's great! Anyway, see ya later alligators!" [Buy]



James Yorkston

Woozy With Cider

The imagery of the words remains the most evocative element of this song. The reflective voice, and the ambient music add to it all, but it's the words that conjure images, that make it such a pleasing spoken-word lullaby. My ears and my heart are well-acquianted with this song; with its self-deprecation and affection. I've just closed my eyes, rested my head upon the pillow, and my memories all come flooding back to me, passing across my eyes like faded photographs. That time we lay in the park and I gave you my apple; That night we stayed up late talking 'til five a.m.; The only time we ever stayed in a hotel together, and I was restless and couldn't sleep, convinced I was in love with you; When we were in the bar - I'd just come back from getting drinks for the two of us - and all my friends were looking nervous; avoiding eye-contact. Afterwards you told me that they'd let you in on my little secret: I think you're the most beautiful girl I've ever met. This song is all of those memories and more: a life-story condensed into a few words; set to the calming sound of electronic bleeps. [Buy]



Mistakes In Animation

Walking Along Seafronts At Night

This song could also be a caravan song, though not quite as giggly, and a lot more starry-eyed. Imagine: It had been a long day - we were both tired and restless from sitting about, drinking tea and watching ancient repeats of Rising Damp. Neither of us could drive so we walked to the shop, then down to the beach. You took your shoes and socks off and sighed; I zipped my coat and pulled my hood up over my head. We walked along the pier, your voice going against the wind, finding its way into my heart. I stopped at the edge of the pier, and sat down; You worried that I might fall in. I pulled my sleeves down over my hands, turned around and embraced you.

-----

James Yorkston is set to release a new album, entitled Roaring the Gospel, comprised of rarities on May 14th. Mistakes In Animation is currently touring the UK: for a full list of dates, see here. I recommend you see him on tour; he deletes the line between performer and audience, and it's fun to watch. For more photos, see here. More from Luke Temple:

Luke Temple

Serious
Saturday People
Private Shipwreck

No comments: