Thursday, March 01, 2007

OXEGEN 2007 - Saturday 7th July

So it's decision time. Today, the 1st of March 2007, is an Eve. Maybe not as special as Christmas Eve, or New Year's Eve, but even so, it's an Eve none-the-less. Tomorrow, tickets go on sale for OXEGEN 2007. Quote: "OXEGEN 2006 was the fastest selling event in the Irish music calendar and tickets for 2007 are certain to sell out fast" : Unquote.

So how much money is in your bank account right now? If you're a student, like myself, the answer is: fuck all. Thus, I doubt I'll be going. However, if you're undecided, take a look at the line up, and decide, because : I repeat : It's decision time. If you have an overdraft, I would advise you to use it. If someone owes you money, call in the debt. Sunday's line-up is shit-hot, if you're actually sober enough to make your way across the various stages. I'll post it later on tonight or tomorrow. Anyway, here we go:

In order with artists I actually like at the front of the queue, and artists I've never heard of/dislike at the back of the line, here's the acts that have been announced so far.




Saturday 7th July


Interpol

Obstacle 1 (Arthur Baker's Return To New York Remix)

First album was amazing - you could play it on repeat for hours sitting having dinner with the family, or you could dance dance dance to any one of the tunes off it at an indie-disco pissed out of your head. Second album was a grower - but still a bit of a disappointment.

Erol Alkan

Death From Above 1979 - Romantic Rights (Erol Alkan's Love From Below Re-Edit)
Justice - Waters of Nazareth (Erol Alkan Dur Dur Durrr re-edit)

You've heard the hype. I've heard it's true. He is the ultimate party-starter - that's the word on the street.

Justice

Soulwax - NY Excuse (Justice Remix)
Death From Above 1979 - Blood On Our Hands (Justice Remix)

Indie-disco anyone? Electronic remixes and bloody amazing one's at that. Yes please. "Never Be Alone" was playing everywhere at all times all over the country. It brings back happy memories of sweaty nights dancing with friends. You have to have heard it. Seriously. Thus, instead of that, I give you these fine remixes. All have been involved in alcoholic dance-sessions that I've taken part in. You probably have too. These are C-H-O's... chooooons.

Gossip

Standing In The Way Of Control (Soulwax Remix)

Seen the advert for Skins? Me too. I love that ad. Damn good tune, damn fine show - not sure about the rest of the bands output [i.e. I haven't heard it.] But this one song remixed by - everyone's favourite - Soulwax, is relentlessly catchy.

Snow Patrol

Run (Live at KEXP)
Chasing Cars (Hey Team! Remix)
You Will. You? Will. You? Will. You? Will. (live Bright Eyes cover)
An Olive Grove Facing The Sea (live at SXSW)

With Eyes Open they crafted an album that went on to be number one in the UK for sales for the whole of 2006. Impressive. They used to be less stadium-rock [i.e. Less like Coldplay]. But still, everyone has a lot of hate for them, and I don't. I like them. The songs above are brilliant. Although I saw them perform on the Brits and it was one of the most soulless performances I've ever seen. Maybe sometimes they're actually good though? You decide.

Muse

Muse vs The Spinto Band - Supermassive Mandy

I heart Showbiz. Everything after that album was a bit hit-and-miss for me. And I don't get all this wanting to be Britney Spears craic. But you know... voted Best Live Act at the Brits must count for something. Right? Enjoy a mash-up that actually works for once.

Kings of Leon

I've heard Four Kicks covered about ten times live, always well. It's a great song. Aha Shake Heartbreak is an album I listened to in a car, the morning after, very hung over, and it is a great album. Youth and Young Manhood is an album I've listened to in the store-room of my then-workplace Longs while climbing up shelves and pretending to be working. It was pretty decent too. I'm sure they'd be great live.

Tori Amos

Famous Blue Raincoat (Leonard Cohen cover)
Smells Like Teen Spirit (Nirvana cover)

Concept albums, and pretty piano songs. With as little familiarity as I have with her work, it's hard to say more. A nice quiet one for the crowd of hangover-kids.

Amy Winehouse

She's a sesh-head. She's bound to be good fun.

The Fratellis

They like IRN-BRU. I saw him carrying a bottle on the Brits. FACT! Sticking with the old Scottish heritage. Chelsea Dagger is equal parts catchy-as-hell and annoying-as-hell. It's a good singalong though.

Goo Goo Dolls

Iris (acoustic)
Slide (acoustic)

Say it with me now: Old. School. That said though, Iris is just one of those songs. One of the amazing one's that everyone has their own little memory for. It reappears on mix-tapes all over the place. It's on at house-party's. It's legendary. Slide, less so, but a decent tune, with a decent melody.

Scissor Sisters

Take Me Out (Franz Ferdinand cover)

Never really catered to my tastes unless I was insanely drunk at the time. So yea, a good festival band I guess. Sorry about the dire 56kbps, but it's a good enough cover, so what the hell.

Mika

"Hi my name's Mika, and I'm a combination of Queen, the Scissor Sisters, and the Darkness. Enjoy my live screeching performance."

M.A.N.D.Y.

DR. LEKTROLUV

Booka Shade

Wu-tang Klan

No thanks.

Support recorded music: Buy CD's from Amazon.
Support live music: Buy an Oxegen ticket.

2 comments:

Matt said...

Any chance of posting alternate links for these remixs? The bandwidth is already exceeded on all of them.

Say Anything Syndrome said...

Links should now work again. I upgraded my fileden account, so hopefully that's it sorted.