Thursday, May 14, 2009

NEXT THING WE'RE TOUCHING / YOU LOOK AT ME AND IT'S LIKE YOU HIT ME WITH LIGHTNING

I don’t know really what to say... I’ve been gone a long, long time. Hopefully, I’m back. Because it’s summer. And although my last exam still hovers over my like a storm cloud, it feels like I should be productive in my misery, in my sadness, in my anticipation. So first... would you like £2000 to look after your moat?

But, enough.

Enough.

Have you heard Ellie Goulding yet? Her music is magical. It’s soft, it’s soothing... it’s little bleeps, it’s gentle stop-starts on an empty country road. She’s taking breaths in all the right moments, she’s being paused and played, she’s flying high and low with vocal soars. And she’s collaborating with Frankmusik who’s fantastic. I don’t know if it’s right to share so many songs with you, but.... well, as far as I can tell it’s GOODWEATHERFORAIRSTRIKES (I mean, Neon Gold) who have a handle on her, and they’re the most sharing of people. So, hear it is: Two Covers, Two Originals.


(image source: crazy bobbles)

Ellie Goulding - Black + Gold (Sam Sparro cover)

I hate this Sam Sparro song, when Sam Sparro does it, but it suddenly becomes more listenable, and less headache-inducingly annoying once it gets the female touch. Quite excellent work, I’m sure you’ll agree.

Ellie Goulding - The Wolves (Bon Iver cover)

This Bon Iver cover is impressive. The original itself isn’t exactly interesting until the “what might have been lost”, and whilst this version isn’t as tear-inducingly sad once we reach that point, it’s still lovingly crafted. And it’s beautiful to hear that a few multi-tracked voices can make a song. Sure, there’s guitar-squeaks, there’s minor chords. But this song, is all about the vocals, the harmonies, the soaring, all the high’s and all the lows.



Ellie Goulding - Wish I Stayed
Ellie Goulding - Starry Eyed

Finally, two rather different songs, both lovingly techno-pop. Listen up, and hear the newest sensation. Absolutely brilliant.

I thought this would be a nice way to re-introduce myself. She’s by turns sad, danceable, reminiscent, quirky, soothing, stop-start electro-popping. Just like my little mental museum.

No comments: