Saturday, March 18, 2006

they are not the new Arcade Fire

If everybody is somebody then nobody can be anybody... or something. That's a lyric [or at least a rough approximation of a lyric] from some song whose title has long since been lost in the many cubicals and compartments of my mind. The point is... everybody loves Tapes 'n Tapes. Everybody. And maybe a bit too many people love them. It seems that everybody who's anybody in the blogging world talks about them, reveres them, etc etc. So... just in case you haven't heard them, I will let you hear them. I'm not sure what I think of them. They've been hailed as the new Arcade Fire. I beg to disagree. Here's my opinion [written in short-sentences - I do like to be succinct].



Opinion on Tapes 'n Tapes:

They're good. They're pleasant. They're catchy. They're ordinary. Better than most. Nothing amazing. I see potential.

And more specifically:

Insistor is a good song and catchy if you can get over that country sort of rhythm going on at the start. I say this 'cause it bothered me at the start.
Cowbell can be cool to sing along to.
Omaha does that slow sentimental - look! we have hearts! - thing that every band does everynow and again. The equivalent of an unplugged session, if you want to put it that way. I like it though.

So, my opinion? Cool band but I think the hype put me off 'em a bit. Don't let me put you off though. Listen to the tracks and if you find depths which I can't, do share them. I'm too jaded. That's all.



Tapes 'n Tapes

Insistor
Cowbell
Omaha

All songs are off their new album, the loon. Hope you like them.

No comments: