Thursday, February 16, 2006

The Brit Awards


*Note: Imagine that says 2006.

I realise that this post is a tad late, but frankly I don't care enough about the Brits to post on time... truthfully? I'm currently watching the highlights on TV. Basically, because there's nothing else on, so I thought I'd make a short post on what has come to be one of the most pointless awards in the history of pointless awards. Winners that I care about follow:

Ok, so they were going to follow... but hang on a second!!! Coldplay have now gone down in history as the only band to win Best Album 3 times? Sorry, but, what the bloody hell?!

And, Madonna is not "the superbabe of all superbabes" [quote unquote Chris Martin]... but right, I'm stopping now before I rant.

The Winners:

Jack Johnson - International Breakthrough Act
Kanye West - International Male Solo Artist
Kaiser Chiefs - British Rock Act, British Live Act, British Group
Arctic Monkeys - British Breakthrough Artist
Paul Weller - Outstanding Contribution

Reasons that the Brits are a joke:

a) The Kaiser Chiefs won 3 awards. The band are good-ish, and make catchy-ish tunes, but they don't deserved 3 awards, even if they did start-off on Drowned in Sound Recordings.
b) The award winners I listed make it seem ok. If you look at the full list, you'll see it's not.
c) James Blunt won an award. For the record, I used to like him, until I heard his voice so much that it started to drill holes in my skull. If you listen long and hard you'll realise that he sings in a really really really stupid [read: emotional (read: sarcasm)] voice.

Brit Award Related - Arctic Monkeys

Arctic Monkeys - Fake Tales of San Francisco
Arctic Monkeys - When The Sun Goes Down (video)
*Note: Linked from Domino so click on links.

In other Brit themed news, [The Gorillaz performed lived] Damon Albarn is currently writing a screenplay about the cultural diversity of Notting Hill - quite exciting news; so full story here.
Personal comment: I love Notting Hill [the film]... 'tis a brilliant romantic comedy. And by Richard Curtis [see also: Love Actually, Four Weddings and a Funeral . I recently read "Date Expectations" which "reads like a Richard Curtis" movie. It was also a very good book, check it out, it's by Paul Reizin.



You know it. Go buy it.

*Note: Not artist's websites are linked to in this post: just because.
*Extra Note: I tried to host some good mp3's on Omoola. once again I was unsuccesful. Brilliant.

No comments: